WordPress, Here I Come!!

This Blog Has Moved!! I even changed the name. From now on, please visit http://leanagileguy.com.

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Up Front & Iterative Planning

You know the question..."what kind of projects are best suited for agile?".  To me, this is the same as asking "what kind of projects are best suited for empowered teams, technical excellence, servant leadership, reducing waste?".  Would there ever be a time when you would not want these things?  I know, that is a very smart-allec response, but I just can't help myself.

I then ask "what's the other option?".  This surprisingly stumps people when I ask this.  We all know there is no such thing as "true" waterfall in software.  So, to help them along, I clarify what I "think" they are asking which is "what kinds of projects are best suited for big, upfront planning and design vs. iterative & incremental delivery?".  People almost always agree with the restatement of the question.

I believe that everything can and must be done iteratively and incrementally in software.  However, the level of "up front" may change with the type of project.  Gutting out an old accounting system and replacing it with an Oracle or Great Plains solution will require more up-front planning and analysis than a green-field Web 2.0 social networking application.

So, fellow agilists, "up-front" is not a bad word, it has to be done.  We know this already with release planning, and even sprint planning, we just don't call it "up-front".  Just be careful...VERY careful.  You run the risk digressing into waterfall.  At times, there will need to be more "up-front" than other times.  Always be asking yourself, "what is the soonest we can deliver value to customer?".

No comments: