WordPress, Here I Come!!

This Blog Has Moved!! I even changed the name. From now on, please visit http://leanagileguy.com.

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Agile - It's All About the Principles

I've been talking with a lot of folks lately that claim to have been working with Agile for a long time.  When I talk with them, they boil agile down to a few things such as; delivering faster, iterations, and stand-ups.


What troubles me is that very few people talk about the principles.  I like focus on the principles first, and look at the practices (retrospectives, stand-ups, iterations, etc.) as "how" to bring those principles to the forefront of everyone's mind.

You aren't "doing agile" because you put index cards on a wall, or because you stand up for 15 minutes a day in a meeting, or even if you have iterations.  Practices without focus on the principles will get you nowhere.

As teams inspect and adapt, new practices will emerge.  As these new practices emerge, we need to do our best to make sure they don't impede the agile principles, which are honestly good principles no matter what approach is used.

No comments: